Guess what I’m gonna talk about.
Come on, guess it. No? Fine.
I’m gonna be talking about a very simple exercise that you can do everyday for as little as 5 minutes, to completely turn your life around, and become a more successful person.
I’m not talking about push ups, crunches, or all those bodily exercises. What I’m talking about is an exercise for your brain. Trust me, it’s not as hard as it sounds.
And in this exercise all you have to do is literally just BREATHE. Yep. Just BREATHEEE.
By now I think you already figured out what it is. If you haven’t here it is.
You’ve heard about meditation at least 5 times before right? It’s everywhere these days. Especially if you’re into self-improvement.
Well it’s popular for a reason. And a good one at that.
THE BENEFITS OF MEDITATION.
Just in case you forget why meditation is so important and beneficial to us, I’ll tell you some benefits which I think you might want in your life.
- You’ll be in the present more, you won’t worry about things in the future, and ruminate about things from the past
- You’ll be super focused on whatever you do. Work, school, exercise.
- You’ll be more in touch with your mind, body and soul, and you’ll feel a lot more connected to yourself
- You’ll have more patience for everything and everyone.
- You’ll be more peaceful, and more calmer.
If these reasons aren’t enough to get you to meditate, Idk what will. Cuz just one of these reasons alone is enough to make me meditate. And I hope you want to meditate too after reading those.
Let’s move on to how you can actually do it.
HOW TO MEDITATE.
I’m gonna keep this very brief because meditation is pretty simple.
There are lots of different types of meditation like mantra, movement and stuff like that, but today we will explore the ‘Mindfulness Meditation’.
Mindfulness meditation is very simple. Why? Because all you really need to do is just breath, and feel.
So for this exercise all you need is:
- A comfortable place to sit
- A distraction-free environment
- A timer
- And yourself of course. (almost forgot that one :P)
- Get your timer, and set it to 5 minutes
- Sit down on your comfortable surface.
- Make sure there is no one or nothing around to disturb you.
- Sit down with your back straight, but relaxed, and your body tension free.
- Take a super deep breath, and on the exhale just let your body loose. (not like a jelly, just release some tensions)
- Do this 5 times and let your body completely relax, all the way from your facial muscles, to your ass.
- Then close your eyes.
- Now, take a breath in, on your own pace, with your nose.
- When you’re near the inhale limit, hold it, and focus on the feeling of the midpoint of the breath.
- Then exhale through your nose.
- Same step here, focus on the end point of your exhalation.
- While you’re breathing, make sure you breathe into your belly, and not your chest.
- Feel every muscle involved in breathing like your belly, and ribs.
- And around here you’ll start to get thoughts entering your mind, sucking you into thoughts. That’s completely normal. In fact, this gives us even more opportunity to become even focused.
- Without giving in to the thought, simply observe and watch it like you’re watching a car pass by. Don’t get in the car, just let it pass by. (or a balloon)
- And as that thought passes, focus back on your breathe and how it feels in your nose, and your lungs.
- Keep focusing on those deep relaxing breaths, and as well as the mid point between breaths.
- And as soon as a thought comes in, snap out of it ASAP! Then repeat step No. 15
- Keep feeling your body, and how it feels, without thinking about it. Just feel it, and experience it. Don’t think it. Just feel it.
- And your timer may have zoomed by in a matter of seconds, or it might have felt like an eternity. Whatever it is, you’ve done it! You’ve successfully meditated!
After you meditate, you should feel more relaxed, calm, and even more focused on the now and the present.
Now the effects won’t be super quick, so don’t get discouraged. It will build up over time, and once you know it, you’ll be as present as a plant, and as calm as the ocean.
Do this everyday, for as little as 5 mins, and your life is already on the way to victory.